Monday, March 28, 2011

Granite



I just went to a slab yard and man was it fun. Row after row of materials found in the earth, it's so amazing. Selecting slab can be a complicated process- you have to keep in mind all the natural attributes of the stone. For instance marble is quite porous but it has a beautiful, one of a kind swirl pattern. Granite on the other hand is less porous- it usually has a speckled pattern. Most recently engineered quartz has become popular. They are approximately 95 percent ground natural quartz with 5 percent polymer resins. Quartz is not porous so it's 99.9% bacteria free. I'm planning on using it in two projects I'm working on. But on this recent trip to the slab yard I saw some amazing granites with a swirl pattern, seriously making me rethink the quartz. I wish I took more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment